Sunday 1 July 2007

First impresion on ELT


At first sight, ELT looked to me as a huge task because it demands knowledge of too many things regarding not only the language itself, but also human behaviour. I thought that 5 years were just too little to learn and absorb the knowledge and skills that any teacher should have. Sometimes, I was even doubtful that I could someday do what the people from which I was been taught were doing at that time.
However, after about four years striving to achieve the objectives in every subject that I have been offered, I begin to believe that mastering ELT is possible and that the enduring commitment that it requires is not anymore beyond my reach. In fact, I dare to say that there are enough tools and available information –for anyone with the minimum requirements– to successfully perform ELT.

2 comments:

Nahir said...

Hi there,

This reflection shows your willingness to do the best when teaching by taking care of all the aspects involved, not only regarding language knowledge.

Let me tell you, this is a career that demands everyday preparation, updating, continuous study, extensive reading; whatever you can do to grow professionally and not to fossilise in this field.

We never master ELT fully, there are always old and new things to learn and research. This makes us reinvent ourselves and our classes.

Cheers,

Nahir

Mireya García ; José Roa ; Karina Clemente said...

Thanks for your comment teacher. Specially in this semester, I've seen the importance of not taking things for granted when planning our classes. I've been giving a lot of thought to my performance in my rehearsal microclass and I noticed that when you focus too much in how to present the new content in a class you can also forgive to whom you are going to present it; thus, proving for yourself that no matter how well prepared you are, there's always something you may include to make your better.